Monday, February 16, 2009

2008's Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. Published 2008 by Simon Pulse.

Synopsis: This novel involves a kidnapped girl (the “living dead girl”) and her captor. It details the dynamics of her situation and her desperation to get out of her situation, and particularly highlights the fact that no one is able, or willing, to help her.

I have to admit I did not have high hopes for this book, as friends had described it as graphic and disturbing. I almost didn’t read it because of these reviews, but I’m so glad I did read it. This novel made me look at abusive relationships differently, and I believe it has the power to do the same for students. Kafka suggested that books should, “make us suffer... [and] serve as the ax for the frozen sea within us”, and this novel did just that to me.

Friends who labeled this book as disturbing and graphic weren’t all wrong. It was definitely disturbing, but I think that abuse is a topic that one ought to feel disturbed about. There were times that I felt physically ill while reading this novel. But, again, I think that more of us SHOULD feel physically ill when we think about abuse. We shouldn’t glorify it as a shocking topic for TV crime dramas or a way to make novels sell better. I did not agree with other reviews that labeled it as graphic, however. I feel that Scott tells enough to make the reader understand “Alice’s” situation, which is pivotal to the novel’s theme. Scott does not attempt to benefit from the abuse by using it for sensationalism or shock value.

The plot of the novel is tightly worked with no unnecessary blather-- to some, it may seem sparse or minimalist, but the prose reflects the state of Alice's soul. She is so consumed by her situation that she cannot embellish her descriptions of her life. Many chapters are composed of only one-two sentences, but Scott uses those few words to make the impact that other authors might need many more words to make. The plot follows a simple single-line arc, with a single powerful climax at the end of the novel. I found myself both in tears and cheering for Alice’s bravery and loss.

Character development is secondary in A Living Dead Girl to the development of theme. The main theme of this book is expressed most succinctly when “Alice” says, "Three life lessons: 1. No one will see you. 2. No one will say anything. 3. No one will save you." This is the part of the book that really spoke to me, and that I feel would speak to my students. I have heard the words Alice quotes from her TV talk shows about how victims should have done this or that… coming out of my own mouth! I hope that in the future I will think back to the lesson in this book and not be so quick to question or judge the victim, and that I will have my eyes open to see, say, and save those like Alice/Kyla.

Classroom Applications

Due to some undeniably mature content, this novel would be appropriate for high school, grades 10-12 (it is labeled for ages 16 and up). The writing level is accessible, so a mature middle schooler could handle this novel if parent permission was granted and parents/teachers monitored the reading. It is important to know your students and their unique situations and needs. I would not simply give this novel to someone below 16 and expect him/her to handle the themes on his/her own.

Concepts/Topics: the danger of assumptions, the nature of victimhood, the cycle of abuse

Extension Questions
1) Does knowing how Ray’s mother treated him make you feel less angry towards him? Why or why not?
2) Would you characterize Kyla/Alice as a hero, villain, or neither? Why?
3) In what ways was society complicit in Ray’s crimes, if any? Explain.
4) In what ways does Kyla triumph over Ray, despite her tragedy?
5) How is Jake similar to Kyla? Explain.
6) Do you think that Scott is too specific in describing how Ray treats Kyla, or perhaps not specific enough? Explain.
7) What age group do you think would most benefit from reading this novel? Explain.
8) Looking back, who specifically could or should have done something to help Kyla? What specifically should they have done?

No comments: